A home is a place where families want to feel comfortable, safe, and happy. Creating this ideal environment in a home does not have to be difficult, nor does it have to be expensive. There are many tips, tricks, and home hacks that can help make everyday life easier in a home, as well as helping one save money on daily, weekly, or monthly expenses. So where to begin on this homeowners adventure?
- When moving from one home to another, there will sometimes be a large pile of unused equipment or furniture that someone may not be quite sure what to do with. It can not be stressed enough, reuse it! If a household item is still functional, it can still be used. There is no need to buy everything new when moving from one home to another. Now do not think you can not treat yourself, you most certainly can! Buy that new couch or stove for your home! But try and hold back a little if you can! Not everything has to be replaced as soon as the new home is purchased.
- Make household cleaning products! Not only is making your own household cleaning products cheaper, it can often be environmentally friendly. Often times baking soda can be used for cleaning products, and we all know how cheap baking soda is! Coconut oil can be used a lot of skin and face products, you can look up homemade recipes for pretty much any cleaning or hygiene product you can think of.
- Become more energy efficient by turning up the air conditioner when you are not home. Try setting it at 78-80 degrees when you leave the house. No one is home, so what is the point of cooling the whole house? And if you like the house warmer at night, leave it a little higher when you are sleeping. This will save you money on your electrical bill each month!
- When it comes to family dinners nothing cooks a better dinner than a crockpot! You can find the most random items in your fridge or pantry that you thought you would never use and throw them in a crockpot for dinner. Meals in crockpots always come out delicious, and this helps encourage family dinner time because everyone is going to want a slice of that delicious crockpot meal.
- Little home repairs can add up quickly if you try and pay a professional to do it. Painting and drywall work all are easier tasks that can be learned by either researching or watching youtube videos. So hike up your sleeves and start painting, sweat equity is always the best equity.
- Clean out your fridge, pantry and freezer weekly. We often forget about the items we have purchased from the grocery store, and they often go bad before we actually get to them. So if you check your fridge or freezer weekly you will realize you had items you did not even think you had!
- Do you not be afraid to use coupons at the grocery store. You can save a bunch of money just by clipping a few coupons. And also, bring a grocery list. If you bring a list you will be more likely to follow it and stay on budget.
- If it is in the warmer months try saving some electricity by air drying some of your clothes. A dryer is not always a necessity, the wind works wonders and instead of a dryer sheet, you have the beautiful smell of outdoors on your sheets and clothes.
- Kick the soda! Soda is very unnecessary and it is not a healthy alternative to water or juice. It is bad for your teeth, skin, and insides and plus it is very overpriced in the store. It is ok to cheat once in a while and have your soda, but try not to make it an everyday occurrence.
10. Another hack I can not stress enough is using cash instead of a card. I know cards a convenient, but you will feel like you have an endless supply of money if you constantly use a card. If you take a budget of cash each week and stick to it you will be able to control your spending, and save up money for the next family vacation!